Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /data/19/2/146/46/2146698/user/2356075/htdocs/RomeNewsByWatson/RomeNewsByWatson/httpdocs/wp-includes/cache.php on line 36

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /data/19/2/146/46/2146698/user/2356075/htdocs/RomeNewsByWatson/RomeNewsByWatson/httpdocs/wp-includes/query.php on line 21

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /data/19/2/146/46/2146698/user/2356075/htdocs/RomeNewsByWatson/RomeNewsByWatson/httpdocs/wp-includes/theme.php on line 507
Rome News by Watson | Blog Archive » Bobby Lee Cook - A Real Class Act...(NOT)

Home - Breaking, Current & Investigative
  About Us
  Archives
  Book & Movie Review
  Contact Us
  Medicine, Science & Technology
  Whine & Opine
  Once Upon A Time In An Enchanted Land - A True Story

Bobby Lee Cook - A Real Class Act…(NOT)

Bobby Lee Cook - A Class Act (NOT!)

Last week, a number of attorneys in the area called to let me know that Bobby Lee Cook had been in town recently, showing off a $10,000,000.00 check which he bragged about being his cut of the recently decided Class Action Suit against the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia, (TRSGA).

That Bobby Lee Cook is such a class act, (NOT).

The case revolved around which set of actuarial tables retirement benefits should have been paid, and a statute of limitations designation, which the Fulton County Court had found was the regular six year statute of limitation, but which the GSC overruled, allowing a contractual based statutory limit of twenty years.

So, in the end after a more than four year long battle, the Georgia Supreme Court issued it final order on February 29, 2008.

The attorneys award were set at 30%, which is typical for class action suits, plus another, and according to all of the papers, there were only three firms designated as Class Action Counsel:

Davis, Forehand & Lawson of Cordele, Georgia,

Cook & Connelly of Summerville, Georgia and

Rogers & Hardin of Atlanta

(NOTE: Interesting because two of those law firms played big roles in the Bill Abbate case. Bobby Lee Cook of Cook and Connelly kidnapped Abbate, and held him for ransom, and Rogers and Hardin hammered out the ransom agreement.

So, if the Final order designated$233,549.45 for expenses as well as and added $30,000.00 for expenses already paid out.

So, if there are three law firm, splitting a 30% attorneys fees award, and Bobby Lee Cook’s take is $10,000,000.00, we can assume that the other two law firms got ten million dollars each, as well. This, then would indicate that there was a total of 30 million to be split three way, making 30% of the total award 100 Million.

WOW.

Of course, reading the court documents one learns that there were OVER 15,000 Class Action participants in this law suit. So, 100 million dollars, minus 30 million doallrs, leaves 70 million dollars to be split in to MORE than 15,000 pockets.

That leaves a grand total of less than $ 4,666.66 to each of the fine teachers whose interests Bobby Lee Cook et al were looking out for…and yet, Bobby Lee Cook walked away with ten million dollars, and Dabis, Forhand & Lawson walked away with 10 million dollars and Rogers & Hardin walked away with 10 million dollars.

Talks about a ransom…NO wonder people loathe lawyers. The teachers who spend their lives teaching our most precious commodity got $4,666.66, and the lawyers who spend their lives suing people, got ten million each!

Teresa Watson

We are printing the Public Service Notice from TRS below, posted on their website at www.trssuit.com :

On February 29, 2008, the Superior Court of Fulton County issued rulings in the case of Larrie Grant Plymel and Corinne Monroe versus Teachers Retirement System of Georgia, and others. The Court ruled on the issues of the applicable statute of limitations, the percentage and amounts of payments to class members to be deducted for attorney fees and reimbursement of costs advanced by the class’s attorneys, and what interest rates will be applied to recalculated back benefits.

The Court ruled that a 20 year statute of limitations applies to the claims of the class members and not a 6 year statute of limitations as urged by the TRS.

The ruling means that all class members will be entitled to recover back benefits from April 8, 1984 forward. All living class members who currently receive monthly benefits also will receive future upward adjustments.

TRS has 30 days within which to appeal the Court’s ruling on the statute of limitations issue. The Court also ruled that TRS must pay all benefits not excluded under a 6-year statute of limitations even if TRS appeals.

Regarding attorney fees, no attorney fees or costs will be deducted from any benefits that any retirees or beneficiaries were already receiving before the ruling. No class member will have to pay any fees or costs out of his or her pocket.

The Court applied the Georgia laws called the percentage of the common fund doctrine and ruled that attorney fees of 30 %, including costs advanced by the attorneys during the litigation, will be deducted from all payments to be received by class members resulting from the Court’s rulings. The same percentage deduction will be deducted as fees from all back benefits and future upward adjustments as payments are made to class members.

Regarding interest on past underpayments by TRS, the Court ruled that TRS has to add 4 % interest to all past underpayments.

Comments (22)

Read all the horror stories you can find about any group of people. None are more loathsome than attorneys.

Dear RGS,

Okay, now I have to go find a joke and post it for you, that someone sent the other day. Hold on:

OKAY:

Having already downed a few power drinks, she turned around, faced him, looked him straight in the eye and said,’Listen here good looking, I screw anybody, any time, anywhere, your place, my place, in the car, front door, back door, on the ground, standing up, sitting down, naked or with clothes on, dirty, clean . . . it doesn’t matter to me. I’ve been doing it ever since I got out of college and I just love it.’

Eyes now wide with interest, he responded,

‘No kidding. I’m a lawyer too. What firm are you with?’

romegasir
July 13th, 2008 at 3:06 pm

This story pretty much sums it up, doesn’t it?

ROOM4ONEMORE
July 13th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Cook is a piece of $hit…If he had an ounce of class he would have accepted a small fee that was commensurate with the work he performed and directed the balance of the funds to the hard working folks who actually earned it over the years and were due it returned to them.

babbate
July 13th, 2008 at 8:04 pm

babbate:

I hope that when you win your 10,000,000 from BLC et al you will remember to assist with the much needed support to clean up more of the BLC manure pile.

How about a promise to that effect???

Thanks a million !!!

REFORM !
July 13th, 2008 at 8:46 pm

The problem is there is nothing in place to hold attorneys accountable. the georgia state bar is worthless. larry hill was turned in to the georgia state bar and the person that turned him in received a letter saying they had spoken to larry and was pleased with his answer (BS). They never spoke to the person who turned him in for overcharging and lack of due dilligence. They are a pitiful lot.

evanbubbafoster
July 13th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

I know a woman in Fort Payne, Ala. that visited the probate judge a few years ago, with her siblings to discuss the division of her fathers estate. They got some very excellent advice, I thought, and I laugh when I think about it. He told them to decide among themselves and keep it simple. Avoid lawyers and the court system at all costs. The lawyers would be the ones to come out with the estate and they would be lucky to not come out of it owing money. LOL. They must have followed that advice because I never heard anything else about it. A year later I hear the craziest story. This judge takes a tumble and dies. Hmm, a terrible accident! I found that to be rather strange and unbelievable. I still find it unbelievable. Let me say I find it to be a load of BS. All will come out in the wash I suppose?

ROOM4ONEMORE
July 14th, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Is Cherokee County, in Fort Payne? The judge, took a tumble, end of story. Is that one, & the same. I believe, they said, he killed his self. I read it, in a newspaper article, on the web. Never, heard, nothing else, about it. There, was also, another Judge, that resigned, around, the same time & served some jail time.

SAK

Dear SAK,

The first time I ever got to actually do anything regarding supplying research for the feds, was after the death of the one judge, when he and the other were indicted. IT has been FIVE years or more, and I can hardly believe it. The other one, Phillip Jordan, sang like a canary to the FGJ, Birmingham, Northern District.

I did not work on that part, but supplied info on a Probate case which Larry Salmon had finagled in some way, over this way, and a local attorney, Barry Smith was fighting. (Barry Smith, BTW, is running for Probate Judge here in Floyd County, in part because of the corruption he discovered working this case).

Somehow, it ended up across the state line. There was some communication between Salmon and Phillip Jordan, whose court it was assigned to in Cherokkee County. NOW, in case you do not know, cases cannot just end up crossing state lines, not even county lines. It was an odd thing deal, involving several local, Rome attorneys of note, each fighting Barry Smith, who was representing the widow. Her husband, who was in ailing health, and NOT MENTALLY COMPETANT, was kidnapped by his own brother, from their home in West Rome, while she was at the beauty shop.

Glen C. White was the ill brother, and his brother who kidnapped him owns the trucking company here in Rome. I believe his son was arrested during that time for serious drug charges. But the two brothers had been running prostitutes for years. SOUND FAMILIAR?

The brother took Barry Smith’s client to a home in Cedar Bluff, (which is where one of the good Probate Judges “Fell” to his death). They somehow got him to “SIGN” a divorce paper, which they were in the middle of, and AFTER the man went in to a coma, and was in the ICU, got him to “SIGN” a new will.

It took a couple of years of wrangling on the Alabama side, with a Special Master appointed to hear the issues, and all the while, everyone except the widow and Barry Smith got rich. And yes, after years of illegal activity, there were millons in the estate, before the attorneys gutted it. (NOt Barry Smith).

Anyway, back to the two Probate Judges:

FBI in Gadsden, Alabama was handling that part of the case. The two judges also had private practices, and one was commissioner or something, and had engaged in Insurance Fraud, along the lines of what the folks in Summerville were engaged in a few years back. The way they ended up being indicted was that the owners of an insurance company who got CHEATED out of a Contract, filed a CIVIL RICO CASE. So much good stuff was uncovered that the feds were able to walk in and indict…indict….indict….

If any of you are from over that way, or from the Alabama side of Lookout Mountain, was Jerry Hightower, the drug dealer who lived next to Bobby Lee Cook, (on the Western Brow), indicted by the Northern District, Birmingham during that time, or was that much earlier. Jerry Hightower got a call, sent his wife to the store, and when she got back, he was dead, & foaming at the mouth…no autopsy…about a week before he was scheduled to appear at the FGJ.

Federal contacts say he was going to be talking, in part, about his cocaine sales to Lookout Mountain notables, in particular, the Good Judge KCC, whose father lived next door to the family drug dealer, on the Western Brow.

TW

SAK
July 14th, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Fort Payne is the county seat of Dekalb, Ala. Adjoining Cherokee County. The last word was an accident. I’m not buying what they are selling. Yes, a Cherokee County Judge got some jail-time. Assisted-Suicide? Very convenient exit, for someone. Judge Paul Thomas. Perhaps he was a flawed man but he was a unique individual and deserved better than he got.

ROOM4ONEMORE
July 14th, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Add Frank Jones Esq. to the list of those who will/would (I think he made enough off of us schmucks to retire) to the list of those lawyers that will “Fudge” you running”…He was a complete ass toward me, his client, the entire time I was using the assclown. I hope he reads this. I don’t think he truly understood the last time we discussed it…but probably not, because he was more concerned with those NAGS that he takes around the SE…

He fought ZERO % for me and just used the “template” that they use to get the $$$.
\
What a profession. Bastards.

Dear IKNOWMORE:

Odd that you would name him specifically, but he is, in fact, one of the attorneys involved, in a back handed way, in the Probate case which found its way to Alabama.

What a small world.

TW

Iknowmore
July 15th, 2008 at 11:35 am

Very lucrative profession. Lawyers, I mean, not teaching. This story does, indeed, leave a bad taste in the mouth. The old goat was probably stepping high. Maybe he has found a way to take it with him. He’ll need it for ice!

ROOM4ONEMORE
July 15th, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Lawyers, as a rule are a breed that I completely despise. However, as in every profession there is an exception to the rule. Frank Jones, I believe is one of those people. He is by far the best attorney in N/W Georgia and probably the state. He has represented me on more than one occasion and has always given me good advice, “I have not always followed that advice, but valued it”. I don’t always agree with him, but I have always respected him. As I understand he came from a very well-to-do family and could have followed a different path, however he chose the law and He is one of the very few that I believe is uncorruptible.

As to his not understanding something, don’t fool yourself, He is smart as they come and values his good name. He does not fall into the trap that your average greedy lawyer does as he would rather tell you to get out of his office than to kow-tow to what he knows is wrong.

This is without a doubt the first time I have praised a Lawyer, I have spent my life dealing with them and know most on a first name basis. Frank Jones and I have disagreed and even argued, but as to myself and my family, He is the best.

ManInBlack
July 15th, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Iknowmore has a different slant on Frank Jones. I like to hear both sides to an issue. Something to think about.

ROOM4ONEMORE
July 16th, 2008 at 1:29 am

I guess I am in the minority when I say that I was glad those lawyers won that case! I already recieved my portion of the settlement, and I would NEVER have gotten it without them! Ga TRS is a monster, and those lawyers that took them on and slayed them should be thanked!

IwasHappy!
July 23rd, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Iwashappy

You comletely missed the point but I am glad you are happy. so there.

REFORM !
July 23rd, 2008 at 6:24 pm

IwasHappy! Idon’tBELIEVEit! I don’t mean to sound skeptical, but are you for real? The Ga TRS is a monster, but the lawyers did them one better, with those fees. You deserve more than a group of lawyers. Teachers contribute so much to the communities they serve and receive so little in return. That settlement was a slap in the face. I thank you for your contributions to the state of Georgia and I’m sorry the teachers came out with so little for themselves. BTW, one of my few HEROES is a teacher. She is now deceased and missed by many.

ROOM4ONEMORE
July 23rd, 2008 at 6:37 pm

IwasHappy-

Does it make you feel good that you worked hard your whole life and these lawyers are enjoying the fruits of “your” hard labor ?? If so, I’m happy for you too. The lawyers made out like bandits and you received nothing…what did you get ?? Slightly over $4k spread out over 30+ years of service ?? Thats a joke…whats that about $110.00 per year that you’re ranting about ?? If the lawyers had an ounce of class, they would have taken a reduced fee to show that they cared. I myself, agreed to take a 2% commission on a major deal today…reduced 80%, from a normal 10% commission…should the deal transpire. That is whats called being a “class act”. Why, because I have plenty of others interests at heart. True story !!

babbate
July 23rd, 2008 at 8:30 pm

There is nothing wrong with getting paid for services rendered, but seriously, 10 million? Their moral compasses are spinning!

ROOM4ONEMORE
July 23rd, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Did anyone notice the two corporation notices that Holly Strawn has run in the SN? The address listed is Cook & Connelly’s office. One sounds like a tire recycling Co. & the other is something like Green Inc.

If I’m not mistaken she used to be (or is) close friends with Jason Winters…I was just wandering if I’m the only one that noticed this connection.

You gotta watch em’ all! Young, old, fast talking, dirty dealing, lawyer type, good ole boy and girl, greedy b.st…ds!!!!!

Ancient Age
July 26th, 2008 at 2:23 am

[…] July 12, 2008 - Bobby Lee Cook - A Real Class Act…(NOT) […]

If it was done fairly, all retirees should have recieved at least the six year settlement, even if they retired before 1986

Dear I Am Sad,

When it all shakes down, what will they have actually received? I am not clear on this. I was just appalled that he was flaunting his “winnings” so to speak, which made the teachers takes seem so small.

TW

I am sad
August 5th, 2008 at 7:37 pm

The idea that that the court would award so many millions to lawyers and very little to retirees or their beneficiaries is just another state of Georgia scam, like the governor we have in there now who claims to be a “Christian” but actually changed state law to have his property taxes lowered, according to what I can garner from the papers. Georgia is a chump state full of chumps with thousand of uneducated rednecks who work hard for people like Sonny Perdue who use Christ and a two-thousand year old gospel to screw people. The state of georgia has more people in jail and it is run by “I told you so” politicians and judges
who are the equivalent of Skulls and Bones secret society. The idea that anyone would care whether these grease-slapping porkers are “Christian” are not apalls my tired conscience.

skip jones
June 17th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

How is it some people have already gotten paid and others aret still waiting? Thesetlement keeps gettin lower and lower, the longer you wait. The lawyer has already gotten his.

Dear Derrick,

I will try to check into this. I was contacted today and told that BLC and one of his daughters are down picking up the yacht he ordered last year with his 10 million which he collected and his portion of the attorneys’ fees.

Thieves - all of them.

tw

derrick
July 20th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Security Code:

Details about the post you're currently reading:

• Title: Bobby Lee Cook - A Real Class Act…(NOT)
  • Written on: July 12th, 2008
  • 22 comments
  • 3 trackbacks
® Copyright 2007. Rome News by Watson, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement